By Samira Amini
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is a therapeutic modality used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), where it’s believed that the human body has the ability to heal itself when the vital energy (Qi) moves freely in the corresponding meridian to nourish and support the body.
How does acupuncture work?
• The main goal of acupuncture is self-healing. It can activate the body’s own self-healing mechanism.
• Specific acupuncture points are used to balance the flow of energy and give the body the ability and a chance to heal itself.
• Pain relief with acupuncture comes from inactivating the source of pain by modulating endorphin levels.
How does acupuncture help with pain?
• Brings down swelling and inflammation
• Increases blood circulation
• Increases the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain-killing chemicals
• Increases the production of certain chemicals and neurotransmitters such and serotonin, which is a brain chemical involved with mood
• Sedates the nervous system
• Relaxes the muscles and decreases tension
What are acupuncture treatments like? What can acupuncture help with?
Acupuncture treatment could be local or distal to the site of injury/pain depending on how acute or chronic the injury is. The treatment plan could be different for each patient depending on the site of injury, how acute or chronic the pain is, and the patient’s signs and symptoms. When the pain is due to a trauma, acupuncture can help with PTSD such as headaches, stress, anxiety, depression, insomnia, digestive issues, etc. Trauma can cause inflammation and blockages which will compromise the immune system. Acupuncture can increase the production of neutrophils (white blood cells) and boost the immune system.
What is Cupping Therapy?
Another form of therapy used in TCM is Cupping Therapy, where the cups are applied onto the skin and a suction is created pulling the skin up. This will increase the blood flow to certain areas of the body, which can help reduce the pain and inflammation, loosen the muscle, and increase muscle flexibility. It can also sedate the nervous system and help with high blood pressure, sleep, anxiety and stress, detoxing the skin, and cellulites.
QubeCore Sports & Rehab offers Acupuncture and Cupping Therapy in North Vancouver for a wide range of injuries and conditions. To book your treatment, please call the clinic or book online with our acupuncturist, Samira Amini