By Dr. Soroush Khoshroo
What is shockwave therapy?
Shockwaves are audible high-energy sound waves. These waves are similar to ultrasound, except that they have a much higher pressure amplitude. This means that they can create a more mechanical force/pressure to the desired tissues being treated. In the case of shockwave, the energy is transferred to the painful body regions with an applicator, where the acoustic/sound waves are transferred to the tissue causing a mechanical/pressure response at the site. In this case the waves penetrate the tissue, helping break down scar tissue, enhance tissue growth, and increase circulation.
What are the biological effects of shockwave?
• Increased blood flow
• Stimulation of cellular metabolism
• Tissue regeneration
• Vasodilation and controlled inflammatory response for tissue repair
• Increased tissue healing
• Pain management
• Scar tissue and fibrotic tissue break up
• Increased mobility
• Increased recovery time
• Pathological alterations to cellular makeup of tendons, ligaments, muscles, and joint capsule
What conditions are treated with shockwave therapy?
• Achilles tendinosis
• Plantar fasciitis
• Calcific tendinosis (frozen shoulder)
• Gluteal tendinopathy
• Medial epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow)
• Lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow)
• Iliotibial Band (IT Band) Syndrome
• Patellar tendinosis
• Rotator cuff tendinosis
• Hamstring tendinopathy
How long are the treatments?
Treatments are usually quick. Depending if other soft tissue therapies such as ART or Graston are performed, treatments can range between 15-30 minutes.
How many sessions are needed?
For most conditions, between 3-5 treatments are needed. In most cases, patients will see improved results after 1-2 treatments.
What are other benefits of shockwave?
• No anaethesia required
• No risk of infection
• No scarring or tissue damage
• Increased recovery and faster tissue healing
• Cost effective
QubeCore Sports & Rehab offers shockwave therapy in North Vancouver for a wide range of injures and conditions. To book your shockwave treatment, please call the clinic or book online with our chiropractor, Dr. Soroush Khoshroo, or one of the physiotherapists.
Or Book online